R version for Windows binary

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:50 AM
Hi, I'd like to use rClr from R 3.0.2 (R is installed on a shared server so upgrading to 3.2.1 is a non-trivial exercise). The DESCRIPTION file for rClr states a version dependency of 2.15.0, but attempting to load rClr on 3.0.2 results in an error stating that it needs R >= 3.1.0. Does this mean that the Windows binary has been built with R 3.1.0, but building from source against a lower version should work? Would it be possible to provide binaries built against the lowest required version of R?
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2015 at 12:52 PM
version 0.7.4 had DESCRIPTION stating R >= 3.1.0 indeed, because this is what it was tested with. I've had a request or two to allow for earlier versions since. I do not anticipate R 3.0 series to be an issue, but R 2.15.x is something to check with a closer scrutiny. Actually, I think there may have been a change in the R API along the way, or someone that came across a case of rClr not finding one of the R API entry points in his installation. Anyway, I dive into details, point is I need to test.

If you feel comfortable building from source code, this is also a possibility. I am mindful of the fact that this is not the most straightforward R package to compile from source.

I've used subsequent releases to 0.7.4 for my project work but not released them publicly (no major features). Your request justifies a re-release. I'll see what I can do this week-end.

Cheers, and thanks for your post.
Aug 6, 2015 at 10:28 AM
Edited Aug 6, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Thanks! I used the instructions to build from source on R 3.0.2 (after editing the DESCRIPTION file) and it seems to be working. There were some errors running the test cases during the R CMD CHECK stage, but I chose to ignore them and install anyway - no sign of any significant issues so far.